Mont - Xhoffraix - LongfayeYou will discover the villages of Mont, Xhoffraix and Longfaye by taking the serpentine road connecting Malmedy to Eupen.
The parish of Xhoffraix owes its creation to the Concordat between Napoleon and Pope Pius VII in 1803. Renier de Brialmont, a wealthy monk and Provost of the abbey of Malmedy, built the first chapel in 1484 at his own expense. In 1843, a new church, dedicated to St. Hubert, was erected on the site of the, by then, dilapidated chapel. The current church goes back to 1970.
Among the dozens of priests who succeeded one another in Xhoffraix, above all it was Father Beckmann who built a special attachment to his parish and he earned this accolade, being regarded as one of its largest benefactors. An untiring worker, during his time he set up an agricultural cooperative, a dairy, a post office as well as the water supply to all three villages. In 1951, he died at the age of 89 years in the old people's home in Waimes.
Xhoffraix counts other characters in its midst who became quite famous. Marie Solheid (the Fen Bride) was one of these. On Saturday January 21, 1871, Marie Solheid, a maidservant in Jalhay, learnt that the papers authorizing her to marry François Reiff had finally arrived at Xhoffraix. In spite of snow, the cold and the wind, the young couple decided to face the elements and to go to Xhoffraix. But the snow and the storm were stronger than their boldness. An exhausted Marie died at the spot where the way crosses the “Vecquée,” near the boundary stone BP 151. François died a little further on the road to Baraque Michel.
Léon Rinquet alias Négus, born in Liege in 1891, holder of a doctorate in physical sciences and mathematics, in his search for solitude, felt inexorably attracted to the hard and austere extents of our high plateau. He set himself up in a peat hut on the Freneu fen and decided to build a refuge there in the form of a Russian isba. This refuge was destroyed, bit-by-bit, firstly by a storm and then by German troops. Léon Rinquet finally found his respite in the cemetery at Xhoffraix.
The landscape of the three villages of Mont-Xhoffraix and Longfaye is characterized by its diversity. Surrounded by deep valleys, where the streams of the Warche, Bayhon and Tros-Marêt run, this plateau is made up of green meadows bordered on all sides by wooded areas intersected with boggy wet moors.
Because agricultural activity has diminished, many homes and old farms have been converted in order to accommodate the increasing number of tourists. By virtue of this, tourists will have many opportunities to enjoy the attractive scenery for walking in the surroundings as well as appreciate the friendly reception given by the inhabitants, enjoy the quality of the local cuisine not to mention the closeness to the town of Malmedy.